Sunday, January 4, 2009

"I'm Mike from Canmore..."



One of the greatest Canadian television (and radio) shows ended this past New Years Eve. Since 1993 my family has made a point to watch Royal Canadian Air Farce since it started airing on CBC in 1993 (although I believe the first show technically aired on New Years Eve 1992). Watching this show made me the most politically informed student in my gr. 6 class. It helped to teach me the different between all the many political parties and helped me to identify important Canadian and world figures. This is why I hope that this show does not become forgotten. I believe that various shows can be used to teach students in a fun memorable, yet educational way, about Canadian political and social history. How else can you get people to remember that Preston Manning was the leader of the 'Rrrrrrrrrreeeefooorrrrrm party"?

One March Break, my family even went to a taping of the show in Toronto. After the show everyone in the audience had the opportunity to go down to the stage and talk with the cast and the special guest that night, who happened to be Ron Maclean. That night I learned from John Morgan, who played Mike from Canmore, that Mike doesn't know how to write, and when he signs an autograph he writes an "X".

A simple search of the CBC Archives reveals several television clips that are definitely worth checking out.

No comments: