Monday, February 9, 2009

The Debate Continues... and it just got a lot sexier

Nymag.com is reporting that Amazon has come out with a new version of the Kindle, a gadget that can store multiple digital copies of books etc. which are are then read on a screen. Apparently the Kindle 2 has lost some weight, however still not water proof leaving bathtub readers out of luck.

I have to admit, the concept of having 1,500 books stored in one "book" is appealing, especially since I like to read several books at one time. But, as the person who lives below me can probably attest, I drop things a lot. I also misplace things and spill beverages a lot. Many of my books are stained with coffee, chocolate, and toothpaste (I like to read while brushing my teeth). For me, purchasing a Kindle 2 just doesn't make sense. Yet I can see this option as becoming popular with groups of people who travel a lot and are accustomed to reading things on screens for long periods of time. Having some extra cash might also be necessary for the $359 (US) price tag.

1 comment:

Adam Crymble said...

You may want to look into the Kindle screen a bit more before you write it off. It's not actually a computer monitor at all.