Friday, November 20, 2009

Being an avid reader, movie/TV watcher, and school-goer, I have learned about cool places and things found all over the world that one day I would like to see in person.

Up first is L'Anse aux Meadow in Newfoundland, Canada. I cannot exactly remember when my obsession with Vikings began, but after writing several essays for various archaeology and history classes, I began to appreciate these Norsemen for who they were- talented explorers, shipbuilders, and farmers [although I have to admit, they did pilage and were fairly ruthless when dealing with monks]. It would be an amazing opportunity to visit the earliest known European settlement site in North America, and to actually see the structures and artifacts I have written so much about.

In 2008 I went on a short trip to St. John's with my sister and father, but was disappointed to learn that this UNESCO World Heritage Site was at least 8 hours away by car. But I still intend to make it out there one day.

Next up, I really want to see Stonehenge. I know it's a very cliche and "touristy" thing to do, but, again, after learning about in British history and watching a fasinating documentary about the site, I still want to see this stone monstrosity.

Who doesn't want to see the The Great Pyramids of Giza? Or any pyramids for that matter. The last time I studied Ancient Egypt I think was in elementary school, but the images have stuck with me. I also have to admit, that my interest in Egyptian archaeology was renewed when I started reading Elizabeth Peter's books about Amelia Peabody, a British archaeologist who always manages to stumbled upon a mystery while digging in Egypt with her family.

But lucky for me, I just have to hop a train to Toronto to get a glimpse of Egypt. I can't wait to check out the King Tut exhibit at the Art Gallery of Ontario.

I have always wanted to see the Terracotta army in China since first year archaeology. I just cannot fathom how overwhelming this sight must be, with over 8,000 soldiers and not two of them looking the same. But lucky for me, since I cannot afford to travel to China, in 2011 The Musee des Beaux-Arts de Montreal will be featuring 14 soldiers from this amazing archaeological find.

Next my travels will take me to South America where I will visit Machu Picchu. I have always been interested in Inca architecture and I bet the view would be amazing.

Last, but certainly not least, I have always wanted to go to Easter Island to see the giant stone heads. I know close to nothing about them but have always thought they looked cool and it would be incredible to see so many in one place. And I admire their acting.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Re: King Tut - the show is pretty swanky. But don't forget your student card! Prices are high.

Re: terracotta army - I've always wanted to see these as well. I saw a really good Jackie Chan movie one year at the Toronto film festival (The Myth - it was never released in English, unfortunately) and it was very fun for those who love archaeology. He time-travels and there is a great fight scene in the tomb with all the soldiers underneath while they fly around up top. So much fun!

Unknown said...

Durrr... what I meant was, it was never released theatrically in North America (it's in Chinese). I have seen DVDs floating around though, so maybe copies are available.